STRENGTHENING VITAL SERVICES FOR SENIORS
Massachusetts’ 9th Congressional District is home to the largest senior population in the Commonwealth. As a member of the Congressional Seniors Task Force, Bill has continually fought off attacks to Social Security and Medicare and instead looked for common-sense solutions to the challenges currently facing our seniors. That is why he introduced legislation to eliminate fraud and abuse within the Medicare system. It is essential that Medicare remains fiscally healthy for those who rely on it. Eliminating fraud and abuse not only protects our seniors, but also saves millions of dollars for taxpayers.
- Authored and introduced the Fighting Medicare Fraud Act, which would close a loophole that allows CEOs and parent corporations to defraud Medicare, excluding them from reentering the Medicare program, thereby preventing future fraudulent activities. It also adds a new penalty for stealing or selling a Medicare ID number.
- Vehemently opposed Republican plan to change Medicare into a voucher program.
- Voted in favor of raising the Social Security COLA.
- Cosponsored the Social Security Fairness Act to protect partner and relative insurance benefits.
- Secured over $500,000 Medicare back pay for Falmouth Hospital that will ensure the quality of care for our seniors is maintained.
- Vocal advocate for continued LIHEAP subsidies to help seniors and lower-income families throughout Massachusetts stay warm.